National Power Training Institute of Nigeria
Federal Ministry of Power Works & Housing
NAPTIN Technical Skills Acquisition Programme (NTSAP)
2017/2018 Scholarship Session
EXECUTIVE SUMMARY ON JOB CREATION FOR 1,000 YOUTHS THROUGH TRAINING OF ARTISANS, CRAFTSMEN & TECHNICIANS
ON POWER RELATED CAPACITY BUILDING PROGRAMMES
The National Power Training Institute of Nigeria (NAPTIN) is an agency of the Federal Government, under the aegis of the Federal Ministry of Power, Works and Housing, with the mandate of building human capacity and coordinating training activities in the power sector.
NAPTIN in its bid to strategically align with the Federal Government job creation Programmes, intends to train and provide job opportunities for 1000 young Nigerians in skill trades that are required by the privatized Power utilities. This drive is as a result of the feedback from stakeholders engagement with the Distribution Companies of Nigeria in their areas of needs.
In order to ameliorate the dearth of skilled technical manpower in the sector and give a minimum comfort level to the new operators, a structured and fast track capacity building and skills acquisition programme referred to as NAPTIN Technical Skills Acquisition Programme (NTSAP) has been put together by NAPTIN.
The scheme (NTSAP) will provide adequate skills training and requisite capacity building for five core technical trade categories. These are:
- Distribution Substation Operators (DSO),
- Cable Jointers,
- Linesmen/Pole Climbers
- Electrical Fitters
- Solar PV Installers
NAPTIN intends to provide scholarship on behalf of the Federal Government to train 1,000 youths in these five categories of technical skills based on budget appropriation for 2017 and 2018.
Based on the 2017 budget release, 200 candidates will be trained in this first batch and will be spread across the six geopolitical zones. The remaining 800 candidates will be trained under the 2018 budget appropriation.
Training delivery approach & methodology
- The modalities for the training of these Artisans and Craftsmen are hinged on classroom and field practical learning approaches. The training will be conducted in 5 batches within 1 year across the six geo-political zones.
- 1,000 trainees will be batched into four (4) groups within 1 year based on budget release across the six geo-political zones in order to fit into available classrooms and number of trainees that can be deployed to the utility companies for effective practical learning and knowledge transfer, in line with our MoU with the Utilities.
- The first 200 trainees will be trained within the next 3 months. Then the remaining 800 will be trained in 4 batches within the year after the release of the 2018 appropriation.
- The sector will have additional 1,000 skilled and competent workforce to draw from by the end of 2018.
- The training Programme which will be the classroom and fieldwork on the job training will be conducted according to outlined modules for each trade.
- Application forms are to be completed by potential candidates. Also, they can visit our portal @ naptinportal.com or contact 08172780301;08118979141 for more enquiries from Monday – Friday ; 8am -4pm.